American Legion, Claycomo

02 April 2011  at 23:44
Tonight was the celebration of Andy's late cousin.  His birthday falls on Monday, the same as Andy's.  His mom decided to have a birthday party of sorts.  It was at the American Legion in Claycomo.  I didn't even know this place existed, but it's actually only about 2 blocks from where my aunt & uncle used to live, when they were first married.   It was a divey little basement bar, where I paid $3.50 for a PINT of Beam & water!  By the end of the night it had gone up to $4.50 and gotten weaker, but even then it was a great deal!

A night out with the Mays is always fun, and this was no exception.  It was also cool because my parents came.  We watched some of the most ridiculous karaoke ever.  The highlight of my karaoke watching was an old gentleman who, as my dad aptly put it, had "a church voice".  He sang songs by Englebert Humperdinck and he shook his old man hips, and he was adorable.  The lowlight (also a highlight in its own way) was probably the one Andy called Quasimodo.  He was a strange looking guy, wearing biker leathers with blue flames on them.  He 'sang' George Thorogood, and it was as if he'd never heard the original songs.  I later found out that he rode in on a scooter - not a cool Vespa even, but more on level with a moped, which added that much more. 

  
Andy's aunt & her BFF, making the DJ uncomfortable (yeah, a crappy picture...the only one I took, though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment