Seriously, folks.

28 September 2010  at 15:08
I'm going to take this time to share my thoughts on mortality:

I think it sucks, and I don't like to be reminded of it.

Late last week, a friend of mine died in an unfortunate freak accident.  He fell down the stairs at his house and fractured his skull.  They were unable to stop the bleeding into his brain, due to the location.  This person used to mean a great deal to me, and although we didn't stay in touch enough the past few years, it was always a pleasure to run into him.  It took us a while to get to that point, but I was thankful when we did, and I'm even more thankful now that we did eventually reach that.

Matt was a great guy, and one of my first friends in college.  A while after we hung out, we ended up dating for the better part of 2 years.  It was one of those immature relationships, where your friends really maintain the relationship more than you do.  Eventually it ended on not-so-good terms, but once we got past that, we had both evolved as people, and I like to think that it was a good thing for both of us in the end.

I only regret the fact that our tumultuous relationship was the longest, most serious one he ever got to have.  Especially now when I look back on it, I have mostly fond memories, in spite of the fact that it tended to be a rollercoaster.  I hope that he reached that point before he was taken away.

Matt had a big goofy smile that was totally contagious, and was a joy to be around.  He will be missed by a lot of people, and I hope that he knew how much he was loved, by not only the people he sees every day, but those of us who have parted ways with him under one circumstance or another.

Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment