Things I Love, Vol. Five. Annie Lennox.

29 November 2010  at 06:16
Ever since I was much younger, I've had an undying love for Ms. Annie Lennox.  Besides the fact that she is HUGE into charitable giving and extremely socially and politically aware, I admire the way she keeps to herself and is as private as a celebrity can be.  Her humility is inspiring, and I think most people should strive to be like her.  She is an amazing individual, and I haven't even said anything about how talented she is! I actually wrote several papers on her during my college career - my obsession with her might have bordered unhealthy for a while...

She went to school at the Royal Academy of Music and is a classically trained pianist and flautist.  Probably another reason I love her so is that she is a flute player - for some reason, even though I haven't played my flute in years, I always seem to be drawn toward people who play or played flute, even if I don't know they do/did!  Anyway, she joined band after band, most notably the Stocking Tops and The Tourists (first band with Dave Stewart) before she and Dave started Eurythmics and exploded into popularity.  She picked up a number of bizarre instruments, and constantly pushed the envelope with her androgynous haircut and clothing.

Something I find strange is that my favorite of her albums is probably Medusa, an album consisting solely of cover songs.  As someone who is typically morally opposed to covers, it's odd that when I discovered that album I completely fell in love, and it was what led me to really pursue all of her music.  I believe I have nearly everything she's ever recorded - one of my most prized possessions is a copy of The Tourists' Luminous Basement on vinyl.  Anyway if you aren't familiar with her work, you should definitely check out Medusa - covers of some really great and underappreciated songs.

I simply can't say enough wonderful things about Annie.  :)

Anyway...She's a Christmas baby, and so it seems appropriate that this year (~2 weeks ago) she has released a Christmas album, called A Christmas Cornucopia.  I want it.

Here is a video teaser:

No comments:

Post a Comment