What a wimp!

06 November 2010  at 12:07
Oh, how I wish I'd have taken pictures of the desk move.  On Saturday I got myself into a predicament not all that different from the lawn mower incident (Oh nostalgia - my very first blog entry!).  I'd inherited a refrigerator from my aunt earlier in the week, and went downstairs to spray it out & clean it.  I sprayed some spray in it, and decided to let it 'soak'.

In the meantime, I thought I'd move a desk upstairs.  It was given to me as a birthday gift in August, and I'd yet to move it upstairs to the spare room.  I ran up and moved the wing chair that lived in the hole I intended to move the desk into.  Back downstairs to move it.  I tried to lift and realized it was much heaver than I'd anticipated, but this would not deter me.

I pushed it over to the staircase.  Now I am not talking about a nice carpeted regular staircase - this is a cliche basement staircase: narrow, and STEEP (This would have been another useful thing to photograph).  I tried lifting the desk up and walking it up the stairs but that wasn't working.  The staircase was too steep to do it that way.

I decided that if I flipped it over it would be easier to slide the surface up the stairs.  I didn't want to mess the surface up, though, so I found some flannel shirts and buttoned them around it.  I started to slide it up and that wouldn't work.  I found my way around it and had a little bit more luck pulling it up.  The grade of the stairs was still an issue - it was making it HEAVY, not the easy task I'd envisioned.

After realizing that if I pulled the desk up high enough to go up another stair my legs were stuck, I had to do it sitting down.  Stair by painful stair I got it going up.  I had to lift my ass up each stair with my elbows and the wall, as it was the only way I could go anywhere without dropping the desk.  I got pretty near the top and my hands were all sweaty and I was about to lose the desk.  One more step.

Got it!  Now just one last burst of energy to pull the desk up to the landing!  ...except a drawer fell open and now I can't pull it past the bathroom floor/garage ceiling.  FFFFUUUU---

At this point, I don't have enough fight left in me to do anything but drop it.  I start to guide it down the stairs as slowly as possible when I realize it is going to take me with it.  Palms sweaty, I am frantically searching for an option other than watching the desk crash to the basement floor.  Finally I got it wedged in the staircase by shaking it until a drawer falls all the way open and catches on the railing.

I'm gasping for air, and when I stand up my legs and arms are weak.  I can't help but wonder how I've gotten myself into yet another one of these situations.  I go find some work gloves and some water and take a 20-minute breather.

Work gloves in hand, I take some painters' tape and tape the 2 drawers I can reach.  I'm still not sure how I'll get the third drawer closed (the one I opened to hold it up), but a restored sense of confidence has me tugging again...

I got it all figured out, and even finagled the last drawer shut.  I jerk with all my might and the desk pretty much doesn't want to fit through the oddly-narrow doorway of the stairs.  I forced it.  There was no other option.

So finally, I got the desk upstairs.  I got it where it needed to be and then proceeded to scrape all of the visible paint off of it (paint from the doorway).  Anyway, it looks great now - wish I had a picture of that to put here too!

Long story short, I didn't take a picture on Saturday.  Daaaammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment