Food...Yes, I'm That Guy.

12 January 2011  at 11:43
I told myself I was going to get out of the habit of posting my food, and for the most part I've done well. Nights like this, 7:00 rolls around and I realize I haven't taken a picture for the day and I have no plans to do anything but sit on my ass for the rest of the evening....so long story short, I caved. In my defense, it was a particularly delicious meal.

Andy made slow-cooked achiote pork...I think I have discussed this before in here, because I just had a weird deja-vu feeling...Well, I can't find it so I'll explain (again?)...

Once upon a time, Andy saw a show on TV - I want to say it was the Travel Channel or Alton Brown. They were talking about how in ancient Latin American civilizations (think Mayans) they would roast an entire hog in the ground with hot rocks. They would rub it with adobo and wrap in banana leaves. Well, we don't have a hole or a hog, but he makes this version that he saw on TV once upon a time. You basically take a pork roast and you make a paste of achiote (preferably the block of paste, the seeds are a pain unless you have a spice grinder but they might be easier to find), and garlic and rub the pork with it. If you have time, marinade it overnight, but if not you can cook it right away. When you cook it, add the juice of about 8 limes and let it cook all day. This time he added broth too, since the limes we got weren't all that juicy.

Once it's done, shred the pork, and add a little bit of the drippings (sans fat) to the meat. Heat up some corn tortillas (we do it on a cast iron skillet), and add your favorite taco condiments....YUM! (Pico de gallo, cheese, & lettuce is my personal preference, served with a cold Dos Equis)

No comments:

Post a Comment