Things I Love, Vol VI: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

04 January 2011  at 08:36
So...  Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros are recording their second album!!!

This maketh me ultra happy.  I actually read this article the day it was posted, a couple weeks ago, but didn't think to comment on it here since I was being something of a blog slacker at the time.

As I'm reading this article, and being excited about the prospect of it all, and loving them a little bit more with every sentence, I get to this part:
"There's animals everywhere!" singer Jade Castrinos adds. Three orphan dogs that the band has named Angie, Andy and Precious -- as well as a still-nameless cat -- have wandered in from the thicket and made themselves at home.

I nearly spat out my water!  Seriously, of the 3 animals they've named, there is one named Precious (totally not a person name), and the other two are Andy and Angie?!?!  I know I'll sound crazy, but it's almost like some sort of sign....In any case, it made me quite happy.

I haven't officially written anything about Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros yet, but I did mention Jade & Alex in my post about couples.  I would have to say that, although I first heard about/saw them in 2009, ES & TMZ are probably my favorite band of 2010 (Speaking of which, I should do a post about my favorite things of 2010...).  Chances are you've heard them somewhere: Their song "Janglin'" was featured on the Ford Fiesta commercial, and "Home" has started to get a lot of radio play more recently (and has charted on Billboard), but was also featured on an NFL commercial, a trailer for Cyrus, and a viral video of a man walking across America.

My first experience with them was in the summer of 2009.  Emily and I had a trip planned to go to Monolith Festival (Please come back next year!) at Red Rocks (My absolute favorite concert venue) in September.  I was downloading some music by some of the artists I wasn't familiar with in order to determine what stages to hit up, when I found "Home".  It was instant love, and when I saw them live at Red Rocks it was increased exponentially.  They were my favorite performance at the festival, and I listened to them religiously afterward.  I bought their album on vinyl and the needle never stopped.

When they came to Kansas City in June, I dragged Andy along with me.  I don't think he was too excited.  It was the night before my colonoscopy so I couldn't eat or drink, and when I got home later that night all I had to look forward to was camping out on the toilet... I was pretty cranky, and the show paled in comparison to the one at Red Rocks, to no fault of the band - stupid high-schoolers shoving me and standing in front of me was to blame.  However, in spite of all of that, by the time we left Andy had become a believer.

For my birthday, he took me camping in Minnesota and to see them in Minneapolis.  It was glorious.  We were right up in front, I touched Alex, they opened for themselves - It was perfect.

Do yourself a favor and catch them live somewhere before they really blow up and start playing godawful giant venues.

No comments:

Post a Comment